I’d like to comment on PEiD. If you have to analyse an unknown binary and you like to know some details about packers, compilers and crypto features, you should give PEiD a try.
The programmer writes:
PEiD detects most common packers, cryptors and compilers for PE files. It can currently detect more than 600 different signatures in PE files.
PEiD is special in some aspects when compared to other identifiers already out there!
1. It has a superb GUI and the interface is really intuitive and simple.
2. Detection rates are amongst the best given by any other identifier.
3. Special scanning modes for *advanced* detections of modified and unknown files.
4. Shell integration, Command line support, Always on top and Drag’n’Drop capabilities.
5. Multiple file and directory scanning with recursion.
6. Task viewer and controller.
7. Plugin Interface with plugins like Generic OEP Finder and Krypto ANALyzer.
8. Extra scanning techniques used for even better detections.
9. Heuristic Scanning options.
10. New PE details, Imports, Exports and TLS viewers
11. New built in quick disassembler.
12. New built in hex viewer.
13. External signature interface which can be updated by the user.